Black Jack in Pitt County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Four Corners or The Chapel
— Potter's Raid —
On July 18, 1863, Union Gen. Edward E. Potter led infantry and cavalry from New Bern to destroy the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad bridge at Rocky Mount. The infantry feinted toward Kinston and returned to New Bern. Potter raided Greenville, then sent part of his cavalry to Rocky Mount and occupied Tarboro. The raiders damaged or destroyed bridges, trains, munitions, and mills before returning to New Bern on July 23, but the Confederates restored rail service by Aug. 1.
At 8 a.m. on Sunday, July 19, 1863, Union Gen. Edward E. Potter rode into Black Jack (which the Federals called Four Corners or The Chapel) with 800 cavalrymen. Potter’s men—elements of the 3rd, 12th, and 23rd New York Cavalry, 3rd New York Light Artillery, and 1st North Carolina Union Volunteers—overran a small Confederate picket post here at Black Jack Free Will Baptist Church. The picket, from Capt. C.A. White’s company of Maj. John N. Whitford’s 1st Battalion North Carolina Local Defense Troops, occupied the grounds of the building, which dated from 1831 and stood on the site of the present structure. Potter’s
Black Jack later attracted more attention from Union troops because of its position on the important Lower New Bern Road near the eastern edge of Confederate–controlled territory. Federal raiders from New Bern and Washington struck here several times. A detail of the 1st North Carolina Union Volunteers attacked Confederate pickets near here on March 26, 1864. The Federals reported one Confederate officer and eight men killed. Capt. George W. Graham burned the church to prevent its further use.
(lower left) Corp. James Daniel Boyd, 1st North Carolina Union Volunteers. Born in Beaufort Co., Boyd enlisted on May 7, 1862. — Courtesy John Boyd; Burning of Black Jack Church. — Courtesy Roger Kammerer
(upper right) U.S. Cavalry (2nd U.S. Cavalry Regiment), photographed near Falmouth, Va., in the summer of 1863. — Courtesy Library of Congress
(lower right) Potter's Raid from New Bern to Rocky Mount and Tarboro; (Inset) Gen. Edward E. Potter Courtesy U.S. Army Military History Institute
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Marker series. North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 30.073′ N, 77° 14.852′ W. Marker is in Black Jack, North Carolina, in Pitt County. Marker is at the intersection of Black Jack-Simpson Road and Spencer Loop Road, on the left when traveling south on Black Jack-Simpson Road. The marker is on the grounds of the Black Jack Free Will Baptist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2972 Black Jack Simpson Road, Greenville NC 27858, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bryan Grimes (approx. 5˝ miles away); Haddocks Crossroads (approx. 6 miles away); Red Banks Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Fort Fisher Hero (approx. 7.3 miles away); Trinity Church (approx. 8.2 miles away); Trinity School (approx. 8.3 miles away); Tranter's Creek (approx. 9˝ miles away); Former Colleges (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Black Jack.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 5, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.