St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
S.D.W. Smith, Ancient City, Mt. Horeb #20
545 King Street “New Augustine”
This Masonic Lodge, built in 1947 with George Morgan as Worshipful Master, was originally organized in 1925 and represents a merger (in 1984) of Prince Hall Lodges—S.D.W. Smith No. 481, Ancient City No. 26, and Mt. Horeb No. 20. This facility is the lodge-home of Electa Chapter No. 4, Order of Eastern Star—organized in 1939 with Ethel L. Jenkins as Worthy Matron.
In keeping with supporting the needs of this community, these fraternal organizations shared space in the 1960s with The Peppermint Lounge. It was called "The Lounge" by our community's energized young people — sojourners on the road toward freedom — often active in the civil rights movement. It was a safe haven, teen social club, and respite from the challenges of the civil rights era. Youthful and ordered activities were managed by Bernice Lacey Harper.
Erected 2006 by Civil Rights Memorial Projects Committee of St. Augustine.
Location. 29° 53.408′ N, 81° 20.015′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is on West King Street west of South Whitney Stret, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 545 King Street, Saint Augustine FL 32080, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); 262 West King Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); 570 Christopher Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); 57 Chapin Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); 96 Evergreen Avenue (approx. 0.3 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Zora Neale Hurston (approx. 0.4 miles away); 650 Julia Street (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.