Lockport in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The “Big Bridge”
During 1843, when the first enlargement of the Erie Canal was in progress, another wooden bridge, 105 feet wide, was built to carry Main Street traffic across the canal. Strangely enough, this wooden “Big Bridge: or “Main Street Bridge” was built west of the direct line of Main Street. By 1851, a portion of the bridge was used as a market place.
The Current “Big Bridge” is one of the widest bridges in the world and represents a tremendous engineering achievement when it was completed in 1914.
Sidebar on the right
Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
was a painter, sculptor, and an engineer and scientist. He is especially remembered for his painting of the Mona Lisa. His methods for canalization is still in practice today. He also developed the lock system for canals.
Erected by New York State Canals. (Marker Number 2.)
Marker series. Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 43° 10.188′ N, 78° 41.682′ W. Marker is in Lockport, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is at the intersection of Canal Street and Cottage Street, on the right when traveling west on Canal Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lockport NY 14094, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canal Comparisons (within shouting distance of this marker); Lockport Municipal Building (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Big Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Upson Park (within shouting distance of this marker); “Lockport Flight of Five” (within shouting distance of this marker); Tour Boat Then & Now (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lower Lock Construction (about 300 feet away); Hydraulic Race Control Gates (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockport.
More about this marker. This marker is at the northeast corner of the "Big Bridge."
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 7, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.