Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
to Fort Stephenson / to Fort Meigs
Ohio's Revolutionary Memorial Trail
—Harrison's March 1813 —
Text on East Side :
- - - - -
Text on West Side :
- - - - -
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number A124.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 41° 33.366′ N, 83° 38.489′ W. Marker was in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker was at the intersection of West Front Street (Ohio Route 65) and West Boundary Street (Ohio Route 25), on the right when traveling west on West Front Street. Touch for map. Nothing remains of this marker, but originally it would have been situated along the extreme western end of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System route that connected Fort Meigs to Fremont. This marker was intended to inform travelers on this particular Ohio
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. to Fort Meigs / to Fort Meigs (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); Fort Meigs Union Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Indian Wars (approx. half a mile away); Old Wood County Jail (approx. half a mile away); House of Four Pillars (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Meigs (approx. 0.6 miles away); General William Henry Harrison (approx. 0.6 miles away); Major Amos Stoddard (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
More about this marker. In 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers. This particular marker is one of the type A markers of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series.
Originally, back in 1930, according to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report, there were erected 168 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type A, markers (see page 54). To date, I know of only 3 of these type A markers that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database (markers A95, A96, and A1340). A large number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, A124, which is listed on page 66 of the 1931, Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's Planning Report.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System (Submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio. (Submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission's website, regarding the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's military trails system and trail markers. (Submitted on March 25, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System
This particular Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (ORMC), Type A marker, once helped to mark the military marches of General Harrison during the War of 1812. According to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report (see page 66), it was used on the portion of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System that connected Fort Meigs to Fremont. According to the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trails cartographic map, that was issued by the ORMC in 1930, this marker was situated
Back in 1930, when this marker was originally erected, this particular stretch of US 20 was most likely a two lane roadway, whereas today, an additional turning lane has been added, and the intersection has been broadened.
Along some portions of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System, it is difficult to identify the probable location of these markers because the roadways of 1930 are so much different from the present day roadways. Many of the original roadways have been re-routed or by-passed, or in some cases given new route number designations, and this particular marker involves just such a major roadway revision.
Originally State Route 65 had been routed right over the site of Fort Meigs and ran right through the middle of our present day Fort Meigs State Memorial park, however, sometime after 1930, it was re-routed around the Fort Meigs Cemetery, and the roadway was completely removed from the grounds of the Fort Meigs State Memorial park.
So today, the original ORMC trail that in 1930 followed West Front Street (old State Route 65) to the Fort Meigs State Memorial, no longer is capable of reaching its intended destination. The ORMC Trail comes up just short due to today's West Front Street coming to a dead end just a short distance in front of the reconstructed walls
— Submitted April 28, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Roads & Vehicles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 28, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 29, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 8. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 9. submitted on April 20, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.