Lockport in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Barge Tie Ups & lock view looking west
For single footloose men, the life on the canal tug provided just about everything needed except recreation. There were some who found this in the many barrooms located along the canal. For other, canal work was something they knew and liked, and it provided the wages to support their families.
Sidebar on the right
Alexander Pound (1812-1890)
was the Superintendent of the Pound Manufacturing Company founded in 1835. The company manufactured plows, stoves, iron castings, and stationary steam engines. Since the building was located at the lower end of the canal locks basin, they were able to obtain power through the use of a hydraulic race.
In 1880 Mr. Pound invented the steam dredge (remainder of the text obscured by the reflection)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 43° 10.302′ N, 78° 41.526′ W. Marker is in Lockport, New York, in Niagara County. Marker can be reached from Canal Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lockport NY 14094, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Electric Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Life on the Barges (about 300 feet away); Old Locks West (about 300 feet away); Upper Locks View (about 400 feet away); Lockport City Hall (about 400 feet away); Old City Hall (about 400 feet away); Lock Construction (about 400 feet away); The Great American Canal (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockport.
More about this marker. This marker is at the eastern end of the concrete island which forms Locks 34 & 35.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.