Old Bennington in Bennington County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Site of the Catamount Tavern - 1767
The Catamount Tavern burned down in 1871.
The first Post Office was located south of the Catamount Tavern until the building was moved to East Bennington by several yoke of oxen.
Location. 42° 53.087′ N, 73° 12.808′ W. Marker is in Old Bennington, Vermont, in Bennington County. Marker is on Monument Avenue near Highway 9. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 46 Monument Avenue, Bennington VT 05201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bennington Battle Monument (a few steps from this marker); Ethan Allen (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Samuel Robinson (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vermont's Colonial Shrine (about 500 feet away); William Lloyd Garrison (about 700 feet away); Bennington Civil War Monument Vermont (approx. ¼ mile away); The "Corkscrew" Railroad (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Bennington.
Also see . . . Catamount Tavern. The Catamount Tavern was a tavern in Old Bennington, Vermont, USA. Originally known as Fay’s House, it is marked now by a granite and copper statue placed in 1896. It was built 1769 and burned in 1871. During the tavern's 102 years of existence, it was the site of many important events in Vermont's colonial and revolutionary history. (Submitted on September 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.