Wilmington in New Hanover County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
North Carolina Shipbuilding Co.
Constructed 243 vessels at shipyard one mile west, 1941-1946. Its first Liberty Ship, the S.S. Zebulon B. Vance, launched Dec. 6, 1941.
Erected 1999 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number D 96.)
Location. 34° 11.503′ N, 77° 56.052′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, North Carolina, in New Hanover County. Marker is at the intersection of Shipyard Boulevard (U.S. 117) and Carolina Beach Road (U.S. 421), on the right when traveling west on Shipyard Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington NC 28401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fall of Wilmington (approx. 0.8 miles away); Last Stand At Wilmington (approx. 1.2 miles away); Cassidey Shipyard (approx. 2.7 miles away); Alex Manly (approx. 2.7 miles away); Sprunt House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Edward B. Dudley (approx. 2.7 miles away); Gregory Normal Institute (approx. 2.8 miles away); Daggett-Taylor House (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Categories. • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 15, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.