Yazoo City in Yazoo County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Skirmish at Concord Baptist Church
On December 1, 1864, Confederate forces under Col. John Griffith, including the 11th and 17th Arkansas Mounted Infantry and Wood's Cavalry Regiment, skirmished with a detachment of the Second Wisconsin Cavalry, commanded by Maj. Nicholas H. Dale, near Concord Baptist Church. During the brief engagement, the Second Wisconsin suffered approximately forty casualties, including Maj. Dale. Organized in 1843, Concord Baptist Church is one of the oldest churches in Yazoo County.
Erected 2011 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 32° 43.149′ N, 90° 22.841′ W. Marker is in Yazoo City, Mississippi, in Yazoo County. Marker is on Concord Church Road 0.4 miles north of Addison Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Concord Church Road, Yazoo City MS 39194, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jack Owens (approx. 4.8 miles away); Nehemiah “Skip” James (approx. 5˝ miles away); The Blue Front Café Confederate Navy Yard (approx. 8.6 miles away); Redoubt McKee (approx. 8.7 miles away); The Oakes House (approx. 8.8 miles away); Town Creek (approx. 8.9 miles away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yazoo City.
Also see . . . Concord Church, Mississippi - Battle Report of Colonel John Griffith. (Submitted on September 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 281 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.