Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenwood in Leflore County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Battery ‘C’

1917-1919

 
 
Battery 'C' Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 13, 2014
1. Battery 'C' Marker
Inscription.
Battery C,
First Mississippi Field Artillery,
mustered into Federal Service
August 5, 1917 as Battery C,
140th F.A., 64th F.A. Brigade,
39th Division.

The Battery, composed of men from
Leflore and surrounding counties,
camped on this site until departure
for Mobilization Camp, Jackson,
Mississippi on August 31, 1917.

 
Location. 33° 31.07′ N, 90° 11.104′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, Mississippi, in Leflore County. Marker is at the intersection of West Church Street and Henderson Street, on the left when traveling west on West Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 West Church Street, Greenwood MS 38930, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Edward Wright (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Greenwood's First Artesian Well (about 700 feet away); LeFlore County Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); WGRM Radio Studio (approx. 0.2 miles away); Point LeFlore (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenwood (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenwood Cotton Row District (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenwood.
 
Categories. War, World I
 
Battery 'C' Armory image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 13, 2014
2. Battery 'C' Armory
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   2. submitted on September 16, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement