Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
has been placed on the
Of Historic Places
By the United States
Department Of The Interior
( Lower Plaque )
Erected by Department Of The Interior and City of Rockville.
Location. 39° 5.189′ N, 77° 7.754′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Avery Road and Edmoston Drive. Touch for map. Address listed as 603 Edmonston Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Rockville MD 20851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rockville's Pump House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Typhoid in Rockville (approx. 0.6 miles away); Preserving a Community Resource (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rockville Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); John C. Brown Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.9 miles away); Saint Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Saint Mary’s Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Baseball Field (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Regarding Glenview Mansion.
Also see . . .
1. Glenview Mansion. Rockville City Government (Submitted on May 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Glenview Farm. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. M-26/17. “The Glenview Farm (now Rockville Civic Center Park) is a 65-acre complex centered on an imposing, pillared Neo-Classical Revival 1926 mansion that incorporates the remnants of the 1838 house called ‘Glenview’. In the 19th century this property was associated with the Hon. Richard Johns Bowie, whose illustrious career included service in the Maryland State Legislature and Judiciary and the U. S. Congress. His political career spanned four decades.
The stone house was expanded and rebuilt to its present five-part classical composition as the focus of the country estate owned by the socially prominent Irene and J. Alexander Lyon family of Washington D.C. Since 1957 the house and grounds have been owned by the City of Rockville, and are used for varied civic, cultural and social events. The extensive landscaped grounds and gardens surrounding the house include a doll house cottage and a 500-seat theater.” (Submitted on April 17, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,380 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.