Greenwood in Leflore County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
First United Methodist Church
Built 1898-99, in spite of a yellow fever quarantine which hampered construction. J.H. Mitchell was its first pastor. 1500 people attended the 1899 North Miss. Conference to hear Bishop Warren Candler speak.
Erected 1977 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 33° 31.152′ N, 90° 11.06′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, Mississippi, in Leflore County. Marker is at the intersection of West Washington Street and Cotton Street, on the right when traveling west on West Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 West Washington Street, Greenwood MS 38930, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. LeFlore County Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Point LeFlore (about 500 feet away); Battery 'C' (about 500 feet away); WGRM Radio Studio (about 600 feet away); Greenwood (about 700 feet away); Charles Edward Wright Greenwood's First Artesian Well (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenwood Cotton Row District (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenwood.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Disasters •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.