Wilmington in New Hanover County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Stephen A.M.E. Church
Congregation formed in 1865. Present church constructed 1880 on land donated by Geo. Peabody. Located 2 blocks east.
Erected 1976 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number D 77.)
Location. 34° 14.469′ N, 77° 56.791′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, North Carolina, in New Hanover County. Marker is at the intersection of North 3rd Street and Red Cross Street, on the right when traveling north on North 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington NC 28401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edwin A. Alderman (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mark’s (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grace Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Powell - Yopp House (approx. 0.2 miles away); William G. Craig House (approx. 0.2 miles away); John A. Winslow (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas F. Wood (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wilmington and Weldon Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.