St. Stephen in Charlotte County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
St. Stephen Post Oﬃce
Bureau de Post de St. Stephen
Built in 1885-1887, this building was constructed to house the post office, customs and internal revenue. Designed under federal chief architect Thomas Fuller, the structure is one of a series of building erected to establish a federal presence throughout the country. This is a fine example of late 19th century design in its picturesque composition and in the varied colours and textures of the exterior building materials. The round-arched doors and windows and the decorative carving show the influence of the Romanesque Revival style. Since 1965, this building has served as the St. Stephen town hall.
Cet édifice a été construit entre 1885 et 1887 pour abriter un bureau de poste, de douanes, et d’autres services gouvernementaux. Conçu sous la direction de l’architecte en chef du gouvernement fédéral Thomas Fuller, it fait partie d’une serie de bâtiments construits pour établir une presence fédérale à travers le pays. Son agencement pittoresque ainsi que la variété des couleurs et de la texture de matériaux de l’extérieur en font un bel exemple du style de la fin du XIXᵉ siècle. Les ouvertures en arc et la sculpture décorative montrent l’influence du style néo-roman. Depuis 1965, cet édifice sert d’hôtel de ville.
Erected by Historic Sites and
Location. 45° 11.553′ N, 67° 16.644′ W. Marker is in St. Stephen, New Brunswick, in Charlotte County. Marker is on Milltown Boulevard (New Brunswick Route 170) just from King Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 Milltown Boulevard, St. Stephen, New Brunswick E3L 1G3, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A whale of a tale / Historie de cétacé (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); The Milltown Cotton Mill Workers Monument (approx. 2.4 kilometers away).
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 2. submitted on September 24, 2014. 3. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.