St. Andrews in Charlotte County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
Two hundred years and counting
Jeune de deux cents ans
Against the odds
Many blockhouses were built in North America, but few have survived. Why is this one still here? Throughout the 19th century the St. Andrews Blockhouse was used for storage and occasionally as a barracks by the militia. In the 1860s, during a brief period of tension with the United States, it again became an important component of civic defenses, but its military role declined soon after.
Part of who we are
By the late 1800s, St. Andrews has become a popular summer resort. This blockhouse, once known as the West Point Blockhouse, was converted into a residence, and a public tea room opened nearby. The other two blockhouses (East Blockhouse and Joe’s Point Blockhouse) were demolished. Over the years, this building has become a prominent symbol of St. Andrews. St. Andrews Blockhouse has been a national historic site since 1962.
In August 1993, the blockhouse was seriously damaged by fire. The people of St. Andrews and Parks Canada worked together to restore the blockhouse and ensure its place in the future of the town and the county.
French on right
Contre toute attente
De nombreux blockhaus virent le jour en Amérique du Nord, mais seuls quelque-uns survécurent. Pourquoi celui-ci est-il
Indissociable de notre identité
À la fin du 19ᵉ siècle, St. Andrews était devenu un centre de villégiature très couru en été. Cet ouvrage de fortification, autrefois appelé blockhaus de la point ouest, fut converti en une résidence, et un salon de thé ouvrit ses portes à proximité. Les deux autres blockhaus (celui de la pointe est et celui de la pointe Joes) furent démolis. Au fil des ans, le bâtiment devint un important symbole de St. Andrews. Le blockhaus de St. Andrews fut classé lieu historique national en 1962.
Evite de justesse
En août 1993, le blockhaus fut gravement endommagé par un incendie. Les citoyens de St. Andrew et Parcs Canada travaillèrent ensemble à le restaurer et à lui garantir une place dans l’avenir de la ville et du pays.
Erected by Parks Canada.
Location. 45° 4.621′ N, 67° 3.719′ W. Marker is in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, in Charlotte County. Marker is on Joes Point Road just from Harriet Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 Joes Point Road, St. Andrews, New Brunswick E5B, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Andrews Blockhouse (a few steps from this marker); War of 1812: Defending St. Andrews (a few steps from this marker); Blockhouse 101 (a few steps from this marker); Wartime legacies (a few steps from this marker); Welcome, Enjoy your visit! (a few steps from this marker); St. Croix River (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Lest We Forget (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); St. Andrews Historic District (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Andrews.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 297 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.