St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The infantryman José Tovar lived on this corner in 1763. The original site and size of his house remained unchanged during the British period, when John Johnson, a Scottish merchant, lived here. After the Spanish returned in 1784, José Coruña, a Canary Islander with his family, and Tomás Caraballo, an assistant surgeon, occupied the house. Geronimo Alvarez, who lived next door in the González-Alvarez House, purchased the property in 1791. It remained in his family until 1871. A later occupant was Civil War General Martin D. Hardin, USA.
The Tovar House has been owned by the St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918.
Erected 1989 by Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-323.)
Location. 29° 53.28′ N, 81° 18.619′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of St Francis Street and Charlotte Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 St Francis Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gonzalez-Alvarez House (a few steps from this marker); St. Francis Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Four Centuries----Five Flags (within shouting distance of this marker); Llambias House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Tovar House (within shouting distance of this marker); González-Alvarez House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fernandez-Llambias House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named St. Francis Barracks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Tovar House.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.