Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Old Fort Severn
Transferred to the Navy Department 1845.
In memory of men who served at Fort Severn during the War of 1812.
Erected 1957 by the National Society of the United States Daughters of 1812.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United States Daughters of 1812 marker series.
Location. 38° 58.909′ N, 76° 28.872′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Cooper Road 0.1 miles south of Santee Road. Touch for map. This marker is onboard the U.S. Naval Academy, on the northeast wall of Bancroft Hall's Fifth Wing, near the Scott Natatorium and the Wesley Brown Field House. It is about 0.3 miles north of the Academy's visitor entrance (Gate 1). Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21402, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Severn and the United States Naval Academy (here, next to this marker); Norman Scott Natatorium (a few steps from this marker); Vice Admiral William Porter Lawrence, USN (within shouting distance of this marker); Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale Butler in Annapolis (about 400 feet away); Burning of the Brig "Peggy Stewart" (about 400 feet away); British 24 Pounder (about 500 feet away); HMS Confiance Cannon (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
More about this marker. Visitors will need to show a picture identification to visit the Naval Academy. Parking may be restricted in the area, but the marker should be accessible to pedestrians.
Fort Severn was the original home of the U.S. Naval Academy. It was demolished in 1909 to make way for Bancroft Hall which is still the largest dormitory structure in the world.
— Submitted May 16, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.
Additional keywords. Bancroft Hall, Naval Academy, Severn River.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Man-Made Features • Military • Notable Buildings • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,925 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 16, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on June 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on May 16, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on June 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.