St. Andrews in Charlotte County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
St. Andrews Historic District
Arrondissement Historique de St. Andrews
Founded by Loyalists in 1783, St. Andrews is a fine and rare surviving example of a Canadian town whose plan and character clearly reflect its 18th-century origins. The town retains the four key elements of a British colonial settlement of that period; a gridiron plan, provision for public spaces, well-defined sites for defensive works, and a common area surrounding the original townsite to provide a clear delineation between settled and non-settled area. St. Andrews is further distinguished by its fine collection of commercial and residential buildings spanning the town’s history, the majority of which feature design motifs inspired by British classicism. The earliest of these buildings date to the era of the founding of the town and are of wood construction with simple exterior testaments. As the local economy matured, new houses were more elaborately embellished, and the largest and most expensive were constructed of brick. The consistent use of classical architectural features, the retention of the original street layout, and the division of the town blocks into generously sized lots have resulted in a community with a distinctive appearance and a strong sense of place.
Fondée par les Loyaliste en 1783, St. Andrews constitue, par son plan et son caractère, l’une des rares villes du XVIIIᵉ
Erected 1998 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Location. 45° 4.41′ N, 67° 3.162′ W. Marker is in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, in Charlotte County. Marker is on Water Street just from King Street, on the right when traveling east Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 Water Street, St. Andrews, New Brunswick E5B 1B4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lest We Forget (a few steps from this marker); St. Croix River (within shouting distance of this marker); The 200 Million Year Wait is Over! (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Task Force Afghanistan (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); War of 1812: Defending St. Andrews (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Blockhouse 101 (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Two hundred years and counting (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Welcome, Enjoy your visit! (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Andrews.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 5. submitted on September 26, 2014. 6, 7. submitted on September 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 8. submitted on September 26, 2014. 9. submitted on September 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.