St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
These three pyramids cover vaults containing the individually unidentified remains of 1468 soldiers of the Florida Indian Wars
The Florida Indian Wars began with the murder of an Indian agent at Fort King on December 25, 1835. While enroute from Fort Brooke(Tampa) to Fort King (Ocala) 106 officers and men under command of Major Francis L. Dade, Company B, 4th Regiment of Infantry, were ambushed by hostile Indians on December 29, 1835. All but two men were killed in the attack. The remains of Major Dade and those who perished with him are interred beneath these pyramids.
Location. 29° 53.145′ N, 81° 18.576′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from Marine Street north of San Salvador Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is within the St Augustine National Cemetery. There are two companion markers associated with these pyramids. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 Marine Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major Dade and His Command Monuments (within shouting distance of this marker); King's Bakery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct St. Francis Barracks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Four Centuries----Five Flags (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tovar House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gonzalez-Alvarez House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Gonzalez-Alvarez House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Llambias House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 352 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 24, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.