Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
Saint John’s Original Burial Ground
Le premier cimetière de Saint John
Saint John’s original burial ground was established on this site shortly after the landing of the United Empire Loyalists in 1783. After its closure as a cemetery in 1845, the site became a memorial garden with tree lined walkways and flower beds.
For upwards of 100 years it remained a unique place of beauty in the centre of a busy industrial city. However time and neglect gradually took their toll and by the late 1900’s the burial ground was in a state of disrepair.
In 1995 the Irving family undertook a restoration program as a gift to the people of Saint John. They commissioned and carried out a refurbishing of the entire site, including the construction of brick and granite walkways, benches, special railings and light columns. Hundreds of trees and thousands of flowers and shrubs were planted. Then, at the heart of the Memorial Park the magnificent Beaver Fountain was created.
It was in 1925 that K.C. Irving established his first Saint John business on Union Street adjacent to the burial ground. For many years he looked out over this very site from his office in the Golden Ball Building.
The Canadian Beaver, a prominent motif found throughout the site depicts the hard work, enterprise and tenacious resolve of the city’s founders and those who followed.
The people of
Le premier cimetière de Saint John a été fondé sur le présent site peu de temps après l’arrivée des United Empire Loyalists en 1783. Après la fermeture de cimetière en 1848, le site est devenu un jardin commémoratif comprenant des sentiers bordés d’arbres et de plates-bandes.
Le site est demeuré pendant plus de 100 ans un endroit de beauté unique au milieu d’une grande ville industrielle, le cimetière a été graduellement laissé à l’abandon est à la fin du XXᵉ siècle, il était tombé en ruines.
En 1994, la famille Irving entreprit un programme de restauration dont elle faisait cadeau aux citoyens de Saint John. Elle commanda et exécuta un remise à neuf du site complet qui comprenait la construction de sentiers de briques et de granite, de bancs, de portails commémoratifs, de clôtures et de lampadaires. Des centaines d’arbres et de milliers de fleurs et d’arbustes ont été plantes, puis, la magnifique fontaine de castor fut érigée.
En 1925 K.C. Irving établit son premier commerce a Saint John sur la rue Union adjacent au cimetière. Pendant de nombreuses années il a pu regarder ce site de son bureau situé dans l’immeuble Golden Ball.
Le castor du Canada, motif important que l’on retrouvé partout sur la site, représente le
Les gens de Saint John remercient chaleureusement la famille Irving pour avoir ravivé la fierté envers ce site historique.
Location. 45° 16.41′ N, 66° 3.422′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker can be reached from Sydney Street just from Kings Street East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint John, New Brunswick E2L, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House (here, next to this marker); Founding of New Brunswick (here, next to this marker); Imperial Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John’s First Wind Grist Mill (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); King’s Square (about 120 meters away); King Edward VII Memorial Bandstand (about 120 meters away); Saint John City Market (about 180 meters away); The Great Fire of 1877/L’incendie de 1877 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
More about this marker. The Loyalist Burial Ground is bounded by Sydney, Union and Carmarthen Streets and Kings Street East. The marker is located near the fountain at the center of the
Also see . . . The Old Loyalist Burial Ground. The monuments were restored using a conservationist approach. No attempt was made to repair or replace worn or broken engravings. In this way their historic appearance remains virtually unchanged. (Submitted on September 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.