Allegany State Park's Fancher Cabin
Stone for the fireplace came from within Allegany State Park. Logs for the lodge came from nearby Pennsylvania. Experts cut and joined the logs to form a 45-foot by 30-foot cabin in keeping with the rustic ambience of the park.
Albert T. and Musette (Barker) Fancher on the porch of their lodge at Allegany State Park, ca. 1928.
Since Mrs. Fancher's death in 1944, the cabin has been used by successive Allegany State Parks Commission chairpeople and State Park commissioners.
Commissioner and Mrs. Fancher kept a stable of horses near their cabin. This 1928 photograph shows them entertaining a visiting couple from England.
Commissioner Fancher's will provided money for a swimming pool in the Quaker area and for landscaping around the Red House Administration Building. This photograph of the Fancher pool dates to ca. 1935.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allegany State Park's Oldest Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tornado / Forest Succession (approx. 1.3 miles away); The School in the Forest (approx. 2.3 miles away); Stoddard Hollow (approx. 6.4 miles away); Roll of Honor (approx. 6.7 miles away in Pennsylvania); Gyantwahia (approx. 6.7 miles away in Pennsylvania); Outdoor Museum (approx. 6.9 miles away); Weather Station (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Red House.
More about this marker. A motor vehicle entrance fee is typically required during regular business hours in season and on weekends. There are two cabin areas in Allegany State Park. Quaker is the southern area. The word "run" in this region means "brook."
Also see . . . Allegany State Park - New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Quaker area (Submitted on September 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Environment •
More. Search the internet for Allegany State Park's Fancher Cabin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.