Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dorset in Bennington County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Dorset Field Club

Oldest Continually Operated Golf Course in the United States

 
 
The Dorset Field Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Arsenault, June 7, 2014
1. The Dorset Field Club Marker
Inscription. Marker Front:
On September 12, 1886 a group of golfers, principally from Troy and New York City, who summered in Dorset, laid out a nine hole golf course, then known as The Dorset Golf Links on this present site. The Club's first president and principal architect was A. W. Harrington, Jr. The other founding members were: Allen Bourne, Richard M. Campbell, James C. Chapin, Ransom H. Gillett, Joe H. Harrington, George B. Harrison, Fred S. Hawley, S. Frank Holley, W. E. Kent, Edwin Q. Lasell, O. P. Liscomb, George Lewis Prentiss and Henry S. Woodruff. The Dorset Field Club constructed a Fieldhouse in 1896 and it was named "Woodruff Hall" in honor of one of the founders. It is preserved as the dining room area of the present clubhouse.
(Continued on other side.)

Marker Reverse:
By 1886 Dorset had become a popular summer retreat and over the next century play increased and the course was lengthened and improved. The course underwent five substantial alterations and re-routings but always remained in the same location. It continued as a nine hole course with alternate tees for use on the second time around. Many of the early features are still recognizable. Adjacent land was acquired and in 1999 nine additional holes were opened. The course has become, not only venerable, but one of the most highly regarded in

The Dorset Field Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Arsenault, September 28, 2014
2. The Dorset Field Club Marker
Vermont. Tennis courts were added early in the club’s history and it quickly became, and continues as, a center for competitive tennis. Platform tennis courts were added in 1958 and the club developed one of the most active programs in the northern New England.
 
Erected 2010 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
 
Location. 43° 15.371′ N, 73° 6.024′ W. Marker is in Dorset, Vermont, in Bennington County. Marker is on Vermont Route 30, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dorset VT 05251, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dorset (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fenton Pottery Site (approx. ¾ mile away); First Marble Quarry (approx. 1.6 miles away); Harmon's Mint (approx. 2.1 miles away); Birthplace of William Griffith Wilson (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Southern Vermont Arts Center (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Revolutionary War (approx. 6.6 miles away); Lincoln’s "Hildene" (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dorset.
 
Categories. Sports
 
The Dorset Field Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Craft, October 18, 2014
3. The Dorset Field Club Marker
The Dorset Field Club image. Click for full size.
By John Arsenault, June 7, 2014
4. The Dorset Field Club
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2014, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on September 30, 2014, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. Photos:   1. submitted on June 15, 2014, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont.   2. submitted on September 30, 2014, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont.   3. submitted on October 21, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.   4. submitted on June 15, 2014, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement