St. Johnsbury in Caledonia County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
First American Platform Scale
After experimenting with new types of farm equipment, plows and stoves, Thaddeus Fairbanks invented the platform scale here in 1830. With his brothers Erastus and Joseph, he founded the company which still bears their name. Many St. Johnsbury public institutions were gifts of this talented family.
Erected 1949 by Vermont Historic Sites Commission.
Location. 44° 25.074′ N, 72° 1.67′ W. Marker is in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, in Caledonia County. Marker is at the intersection of Western Avenue (U.S. 2) and Mount Vernon Street, on the right when traveling east on Western Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Western Avenue, Saint Johnsbury VT 05819, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Johnsbury Trade School (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Johnsbury Athenaeum (approx. 0.3 miles away); Court House Grounds & Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Northeastern Speedway (approx. 5 miles away); Greenbank's Hollow (approx. 5.4 miles away); Thaddeus Stevens (approx. 5.6 miles 1st Normal School (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Comerford Development at Fifteen Mile Falls (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Johnsbury.
More about this marker. Marker is located in front of the Fairbanks Inn. It is identical to the marker located 2.5 miles away in front of the Fairbanks-Morse Platform Scale factory.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Thaddeus Fairbanks. (Submitted on October 1, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 1, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. 2. submitted on August 27, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. 3. submitted on April 24, 2018. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.