Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Real Rock of Chickamauga
Jerome Henderson as a student at Penfield College (now Mercer University), and he came home in June of 1861. Most of the young men in the local area were excited about the coming war, and eager to do their part. Henderson discussed the matter with his friend James Clark Gordon and they organized a barbeque at Crawfish Spring that attracted a large number of men from Walker and Catoosa Counties. The two of them then took turns speaking to the crowd, using the large rock that still exists by the entrance to the drive leading to the Gordon Lee House as a platform. Response was good, and two Confederate companies were formed. Henderson was elected Sergeant of his company, and rather than
James Clark Gordon was elected Captain of his company, and the unit became a part of the 36th Georgia Infantry Regiment, and they were assigned to the Army of Pensacola. The regiment took part in the defense of Fort McRee in Pensacola Harbor during the Battle of Pensacola on November 22-23, 1861.
Then on January 31, 1862, the regiment was re-organized and designated as the 1st Confederate Infantry Regiment, also called the 1st Georgia Infantry. Captain Gordon was elected to the rank of Major. In July of 1863, the regiment was assigned to the Army of Tennessee and for the rest of the war it took an active part in all the battles and campaigns of that unit. In the fight at Chickamauga, the regiment was commanded by Major James Clark Gordon. The regiment lost 46 % of the 181 men engaged at Chickamauga, and totaled 138 in December 1863.
Sometimes called the 2nd Sharpshooter Battalion, the regiment was field consolidated with the 66th Georgia Infantry in September 1864, but was still called the 1st Confederate. On April 9, 1865, it was consolidated with the 25th, 29th, 30th, and 66th Georgia Infantry Regiments and 1st Georgia Sharpshooter Battalion
Location. 34° 52.236′ N, 85° 17.594′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Cove Road (Georgia Route 341) south of Gordon Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This historical marker is located beside a large rock, that is partially exposed from the ground, just to the right (north) of the marker. The Historical marker is in the downtown area, in front of the grounds for the Gordon-Lee Mansion. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 Cove Road, Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hospitals, Right Wing, Union Army. (a few steps from this marker); Wheeler's Cavalry Corps (a few steps from this marker); American Indian Occupation of the Area (a few steps from this marker); Field Headquarters Army of the Cumberland (a few steps from this marker); Crawfish Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); 3rd Confederate Georgia Cavalry North and South Reunited (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp George H. Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chickamauga.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 2, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 3, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.