Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

St. Louis Arsenal

 
 
National Historic Place Marker - St Louis Arsenal image. Click for full size.
By Mike Camero, circa 2014
1. National Historic Place Marker - St Louis Arsenal
Inscription.
A former U.S. Arsenal established in 1827. It is one of the oldest military reservations in continuous use west of the Mississippi and has played many roles in our national endeavor for peace.

Entered on the National Register of Historical Places - January 1975
American Revolution Bicentennial 1776-1976

 
Erected by American Congress of Surveying and Mapping, American Geophysical Union, American Society of Photogrammetry and the Institute of Navigation.
 
Location. 38° 35.517′ N, 90° 12.583′ W. Marker is in St. Louis, Missouri. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South 2nd Street and Arsenal Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the the St. Louis Arsenal which is now occupied by the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA). Marker is at or near this postal address: 3200 S 2nd St, Saint Louis MO 63118, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nathaniel Lyon (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Basilica of Saint Louis, King (approx. 2 miles away); Dred and Harriet Scott
National Historic Place Marker - St. Louis Arsenal image. Click for full size.
By Mike Camero, September 1, 2014
2. National Historic Place Marker - St. Louis Arsenal
Corner of Thomas and Lyon Drives.
(approx. 2.6 miles away); Union Station (approx. 2.6 miles away); Joseph Pulitzer (approx. 2.6 miles away); La Rue Missouri (approx. 2.6 miles away); In Memory of Robert E. Lee (approx. 2.6 miles away); Aloe Plaza (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
 
More about this marker. The monument is part of the installation's flag display located on a small stone plaza near the intersection of Thomas and Lyon Drives. It features three flag poles, a Civil War era cannon, and a stack of cannon balls on the monument. NGA's old motto "Tempestivum Verum Definitum" is engraved on the eastern edge of the plaza.
 
Regarding St. Louis Arsenal. The general public cannot gain access to the installation because it is federal facility operated by the Air Force and occupied by NGA.
 
Also see . . .  St. Louis Arsenal National Register Nomination. (Submitted on October 4, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Additional keywords. westward expansion
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2014, by Mike Camero of Edwardsville, Illinois. This page has been viewed 579 times since then and 93 times this year. Last updated on October 3, 2014, by Mike Camero of Edwardsville, Illinois. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 3, 2014, by Mike Camero of Edwardsville, Illinois. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement