Barnet in Caledonia County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Henry Stevens / Henry Stevens, Jr.
Born in Barnet on December 13, 1791, and educated at Peacham Academy, Henry Stevens was at various times a farmer, innkeeper, mill owner, legislator, postmaster, temperance leader, stage line proprietor, and operator of the Passumpsic Turnpike. A dedicated antiquarian who assembled Vermont's first great collection of historical materials, in 1838 he became a founder and the first president of the Vermont Historical Society. Stevens died on July 30, 1867, and is buried in the Stevens Cemetery.
Born in Barnet on August 24, 1819, Henry Stevens, Jr. inherited a love of books and historical research from his father. In 1845 he went to England, where he became his generation's greatest antiquarian book dealer, helping to build the Americana holdings of the British Museum, Library of Congress, Smithsonian Institution, and such eminent collectors as James Lenox and John Carter Brown. Fond of signing his letters "G. M. B." for "Green Mountain Boy," Stevens died in 1886 and is buried in London under a monument made of Barre granite that bears the inscription "Lover of Books."
Erected 2007 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° Touch for map. Marker is located adjacent the parking lot of the Barnet town office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1743 US Route 5 South, Barnet VT 05821, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Comerford Development at Fifteen Mile Falls (approx. one mile away); Caledonia County Grammar School (approx. 6.4 miles away); James Whitehill Stone House (approx. 6½ miles away); Greenbank's Hollow (approx. 6.7 miles away); St. Johnsbury Trade School (approx. 8.4 miles away); First American Platform Scale (approx. 8.4 miles away); Court House Grounds & Park (approx. 8½ miles away); St. Johnsbury Athenaeum (approx. 8½ miles away).
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.