Bethesda in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bethesda Meeting House
Founded 1820 – Rebuilt 1850
Margaret Whetten Chapter
National Society Daughters
of American Revolution
October 28, 1979
Erected 1979 by The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 0.597′ N, 77° 5.884′ W. Marker is in Bethesda, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Rockville Pike. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9400 Rockville Pike, Bethesda MD 20814, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Church that Named a Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Cemetery of the Bethesda Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Walter Reed Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Walter Reed Monument (approx. half a mile away); At This Location (approx. half a mile away); "All are Welcome to the Healing Plaza" Tree of Hippocrates (approx. 0.6 miles away); National Naval Medical Center in the 1940ís (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethesda.
Also see . . . Bethesda Meeting House. Ann Harris, 1984, ACHS Summary Form.
"The background of the church and its various congregations is inextricably linked with the history of Montgomery County, from its earliest inception up to present times. In fact, the name of the modern community of Bethesda is taken from this landmark church. The word refers to a place of healing mentioned in the Bible. It is especially significant that present day Bethesda, Maryland, is known world wide as a center of healing, due to the Bethesda Naval Hospital, the National Institute of Health, and the National Library of Medicine located there." (Submitted on October 5, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 5, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.