Halifax in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
distinguished scholar, missionary pastor, and prelate, having served for sixteen years, he was elected as Bishop of Sion and first Vicar Apostolic of Nova Scotia on July 4, 1817. He opened the first Catholic school in Halifax. He drew the plans and, on June 9, 1820, laid the cornerstone of this basilica. He died on November 19, 1820 and lies buried in Holy Cross Cemetery.
In memory of the Reverend John Enslow Burns
Erected by The Diocese of Halifax-Yarmouth.
Location. 44° 38.648′ N, 63° 34.396′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker is on Spring Garden Road just from Barrington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5221 Spring Garden Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pierre Maillard (a few steps from this marker); St. Mary’s Basilica (a few steps from this marker); Glebe House Campus (within shouting William Alexander Henry (within shouting distance of this marker); The Halifax Court House / Le Palais de Justice D'Halifax (within shouting distance of this marker); Mr. John Samwell (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Old Burying Ground (about 90 meters away); Carved in Stone (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the front of St. Mary's Basilica.
Also see . . . Burke, Edmund - Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Burke was well regarded. The events of his career reflect the difficulties of others of the first generation of English-speaking Catholic priests in Canada. (Submitted on October 6, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
More. Search the internet for Edmund Burke.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.