Clyo in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Mount Pleasant
In July 1739, Gen. Oglethorpe began his noted journey at Mt. Pleasant to treat with the Creek Indians at Coweta Town on the Alabama side of the Chattahoochee River, below today`s Columbus. During the early years of Georgia, the Colony maintained a garrison and small fort at Mt. Pleasant, under the command of Capt. Thomas Wiggin, an Indian trader.
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 051-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 31.774′ N, 81° 19.905′ W. Marker is in Clyo, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker is at the intersection of Clyo-Kildare Road (County Route 81) and Taylor Chapel Road, on the right when traveling west on Clyo-Kildare Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clyo GA 31303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Early Baptists At Tuckasee King (approx. 3.6 miles away); Two Historic Savannah River Ferries (approx. 4.9 miles away); John Adam Treutlen (approx. 5.1 miles away); Robertville (approx. 8.7 miles away in South Carolina); J. Lamar Brantley Road (approx. 9.4 miles away in South Carolina); Bethany (approx. 9.8 miles away); North Newington Baptist Church (approx. 10.2 miles away); British Headquarters (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clyo.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,622 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on May 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.