Sylvania in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
James H. Rutherford, Francis Jones, Martin Martin, Anthony Bonnell, Sr., and Stephen Pearce were appointed Commissioners to `purchase or otherwise procure not less than five acres nor more than fifty acres and to let the building of a court house and jail.` This marker centers the 50 acres purchased from Solomon Gross on April 29th, 1797.
The town was officially incorporated as `The Town of Jacksonborough` by the General Assembly, Feb. 16, 1799. It was named for the then Governor of Georgia, General James Jackson. For 50 years it was a thriving business center for a large rural area of Georgia.
It remained the county seat until Dec. 14, 1847, at which time the seat of government was moved to Sylvania. Jacksonboro then rapidly became one of the many ghost towns of Georgia`s early history.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 49.649′ N, 81° 37.336′ W. Marker is in Sylvania, Georgia, in Screven Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Abbot (here, next to this marker); Washington's Route (a few steps from this marker); The Goodall House (a few steps from this marker); The 14th Corps (a few steps from this marker); Wesleyanna Memorial Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Sylvania (approx. 5.4 miles away); Screven County (approx. 5.4 miles away); British Army Crossing (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
Regarding Jacksonboro. Jacksonboro turned out to be a rather rough frontier town, a fact which gave rise to the well known legend of "The Curse of Lorenzo Dow." Dow was a colorful itinerant preacher who traveled all over the country in the early part of the nineteenth century. It was his misfortune to his Jacksonboro about 1820; he seems to have been treated very badly by the people of the town, although he was befriended and protected by his host, Seaborn Goodall, and when he left town, the legend says, he stamped the dust of Jacksonboro off his feet and pronounced a curse on the town, thoughtfully excepting the home of the gently Mr. Goodall. today, Jacksonboro is a dead town, nothing remaining of it but the legend and the home of Seaborn Goodall.(Screven County History)
Also see . . .
1. The Curse of Lorenzo Dow. Local legend ties the demise of the town to something other than natural causes. (Submitted on May 18, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Jacksonboro: A Georgia Ghost Town. (Submitted on May 18, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,861 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.