Near Abilene in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The first spring Fletcher planted sorghum for his cattle, making this one of the first cultivated areas in the county. He shipped Merino sheep from California and made an unsuccessful attempt at raising the first sheep on a large scale in the area.
Lorezo (“Lo”) walked to school at Buffalo Gap and later to Buffalo Gap Presbyterian College, marking a trail with buffalo skulls which could be seen by moonlight. After his father died in 1886, Lorenzo took over the ranch operations. In 1889 he married Lula May Cummings whom he met at Buffalo Gap College. They had three children. Their daughters have developed the Lytle Cove land into a wildlife refuge for birds, deer, and wild turkey. This ranch is recognized as the oldest property in Taylor County still occupied by the orginal family.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1916.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1448 County Road 120, Abilene TX 79602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Taylor County (approx. 4 miles away); Cedar Gap Community (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Exploratory Oil Well in Taylor County (approx. 5˝ miles away); First Anglican Church Service in the Callahan Area (approx. 5.8 miles away); Alexander Charles Garrett Memorial (approx. 5.8 miles away); Vicinity of Indian Fight (approx. 7.9 miles away); Town of Buffalo Gap (approx. 7.9 miles away); Buffalo Gap College (approx. 7.9 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Environment • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 269 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.