Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manassas, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fifth Prince William County Courthouse

 
 
Fifth Prince William County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, September 30, 2006
1. Fifth Prince William County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The city of Manassas originated in 1852 at the junction of the Manassas Gap and the Orange & Alexandria railroads. During the Civil War the junction’s strategic significance led to two important battles nearby. After the war, as the community grew, citizens sought to move the county seat there from Brentsville. In 1872, a year before Manassas was incorporated as a town and again in 1888 referenda failed. A third referendum in 1892 succeeded. This Romanesque Revival courthouse designed by James C. Teague and Philip T. Marye, of Norfolk and Newport News, was completed in 1893 and served the county until 1984 when a new courthouse was built nearby.
 
Erected 1994 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number CL-5.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Manassas Gap Railroad marker series.
 
Location. 38° 45.129′ N, 77° 28.56′ W. Marker is in Manassas, Virginia. Marker is on Lee Avenue just south of Grant Avenue (Business Virginia Route 234), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Manassas VA 20110, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prince William County World War I Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Peace Jubilee
The fifth Prince William County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, September 30, 2006
2. The fifth Prince William County Courthouse
(a few steps from this marker); Old Bennett School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ruffner Public School - Number 1 (about 800 feet away); Manassas 1900 (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manassas.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Manassas is the home of the fifth Prince William County Courthouse. The list includes marker links for all five Prince William County Courthouses in sequence from the first through the fifth.
 
Also see . . .  Prince William County Court House History. (Submitted on December 21, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 2,014 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement