Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria
“Old Presbyterian Meeting House”
Panel 1 - upper middle of east face:
First Presbyterian Church of
founded A.D. 1772
House of worship erected 1774.
Destroyed by lightning July 20, 1835.
Rebuilt on the same lot A.D. 1836.
Panel 2 - lower-middle of east face:
Having been proclaimed a day of fasting and prayer
by the President of the United States (JOHN ADAMS)
because of the danger of
war with France
attended in this church the
preached that day by
Reverend James Muir, D.D.
The Washington Society of Alexandria
May 9, 1938
Panel 3 - above the steps, north corner of east face:
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Originally Built 1775
Rebuilt After Fire 1837
Erected 1938 by The Washington Society of Alexandria, U.S. Dept. of the Interior.
Location. 38° 48.093′ N, 77° 2.597′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on South Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 323 South Fairfax Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Mary's Catholic Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Dr. James Craik (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "For God and Country" (about 500 feet away); Residence of General William Brown, M.D. (about 500 feet away); Green & Brother Furniture (about 600 feet away); Gazette House (about 600 feet away); Wilkes Street Tunnel (about 600 feet away); Alexandria Railroads (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . .
1. The Quasi-War with France. (Submitted on October 7, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. "Old Presbyterian Meeting House". (Submitted on November 11, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. President John Adams' "Quasi-War with France" (1798–1800)- a.k.a. "The Naval War with France"
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 712 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on October 10, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on November 13, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5. submitted on November 17, 2014. 6. submitted on May 2, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.