Middlebury in Addison County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Inventor of “The Plow that Broke the Plains”
John Deere learned the blacksmith trade here as an apprentice in the shop of Capt. Benjamin Lawrence from 1821 to 1825. The shop was located below this spot on Mill Street, in what is known as "Frog Hollow". In 1836 Deere removed to Grand Detour, Illinois where, in 1837, he built the world's first steel moldboard plow.
Erected 1968 by Vermont Board of Historic Sites.
Location. 44° 0.765′ N, 73° 10.155′ W. Marker is in Middlebury, Vermont, in Addison County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles south of Mill Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is located in a small park between Park Street and Main Street, across Main Street from the Ilsley Public Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 78 Main Street, Middlebury VT 05753, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Emma Willard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charter House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Ray Fisher (approx. 0.7 miles away); The U.S. Government Morgan Horse Farm (approx. 2.1 miles away); Silas Wright (approx. 2.8 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 7½ miles away); a different marker also named War Memorial (approx. 8½ miles away); Robert Frost (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middlebury.
Also see . . . John Deere - Inventor - Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 31, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 724 times since then. Last updated on October 10, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1. submitted on August 29, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.