Spiro in Le Flore County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Building completed, and Maj. F.C. Armstrong was first agent in 1832. Village became known as Skullyville. Choctaw Nation adopted new constitution in convention here, 1857. Stage station for Overland Mail to San Francisco 1858-61. Leading Choctaws here included Tandy Walker, Edwin McCurtain, and Thos. D. Ainsworth.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 191.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 35° 14.428′ N, 94° 35.724′ W. Marker is in Spiro, Oklahoma, in Le Flore County. Marker is on State Highway 9 0.2 miles west of Daisy Lane (County Route N4735), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001 E Broadway St, Spiro OK 74959, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Coffee (here, next to this marker); Skullyville (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Skullyville (approx. 0.7 miles away); Battle of Backbone Mountain (approx. 6.4 miles away); William O. Darby (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas); A National Cemetery System (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas); Confederate Burials in the National Cemetery (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas); Fort Smith National Cemetery (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spiro.
Categories. • Native Americans • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 21 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on October 11, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?