Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fillmore in Ventura County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Fillmore State Bank

 
 
Fillmore State Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, October 9, 2014
1. Fillmore State Bank Marker
Inscription. This building was constructed in 1917 to house the Fillmore State Bank, which had been founded in 1905 by Judge Felix Ewing and John Carne. In 1927 it became the Bank of Italy; the name was changed in 1930 to Bank of America. In 1965 the building became a branch of Bank of A. Levy. Albert C. Martin was the architect.
 
Erected by Ventura County Cultural Heritage Board. (Marker Number 47.)
 
Location. 34° 23.954′ N, 118° 54.806′ W. Marker is in Fillmore, California, in Ventura County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Avenue and Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Central Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 316 Central Avenue, Fillmore CA 93015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 320 Central Avenue (a few steps from this marker); 317 Central Avenue (a few steps from this marker); 328 Central Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); 338 Central Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); 340 Central Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); 348 Central Avenue
Fillmore State Bank Building image. Click for full size.
By James King, October 9, 2014
2. Fillmore State Bank Building
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fillmore's First Bank & Masonic Hall (about 400 feet away); 362 Central Avenue (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fillmore.
 
Regarding Fillmore State Bank. From the Ventura County Cultural Heritage Board website: This two-story Mediterranean/Italian Renaissance brick and terra cotta building was designed by Albert C. Martin, Los Angeles' prominent beaux arts designer. The Central Avenue entrance is emphasized with classically based voussoirs and cable and bullet molding archivolts. Cartouches above flank the sign. The cornice line above the windows contains small medallions. The roof is topped with Mission tile. It was the second home of the city's first bank and the location of the city library (upstairs) for about ten years.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 11, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement