Near Wallace in Wallace County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Camp Pond Creek & Fort Wallace on the BOD
Pond Creek Station in Wallace County, a home station along the BOD, was laid out in September 1865. Home stations provided meals for passengers and fresh draft animals for the stage. A two-story wood station building, a stable, and three dugouts that served as rifle pits were build close together and joined by underground tunnels for defense. A stone corral for livestock and a rock enclosure for hay storage were located nearby.
Objecting to increased traffic across their lands, some Native Americans caused great
In September 1865 Camp Pond Creek, a military post, was established near Pond Creek Station (see map). This post initially was garrisoned by H Company, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, consisting of ex-Confederate soldiers some-times called “Galvanized Yankees.” The next spring the post was moved about three miles east and renamed Fort Wallace in honor of General William H.L. Wallace, who died during the Civil War. Troops stationed at Fort Wallace spent much of their time providing military escorts for stages and freight wagons, and protecting construction crews building the Kansas Pacific Railroad. In 1870 the railroad was completed to Denver. Fort Wallace continued as an active military post until May 31, 1882, when the final abandonment order was given. By an Act of Congress on October 19, 1888, the Fort Wallace Military Reservation was ordered sold.
Location. 38° 54.619′ N, 101° 34.991′ W. Marker is near Wallace, Kansas, in Wallace County. Marker can be reached from Route 40 at milepost 25.5. Marker is at the Fort Wallace Museum, east of Wallace city limits. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Fort Wallace (within shouting distance of this marker).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Camp Pond Creek & Fort Wallace on the BOD.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 12, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.