Taylor in Loup County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
In the mid-1920s Harrop and his son Roy, an Omaha attorney, were leaders in organizing the Calamus Irrigation District. This public operation planned to build a dam on the Calamus River to provide irrigation and promote the growing of crops such as sugar beets. In 1927 Roy Harrop platted and dedicated a townsite named Harrop about one mile south of here, and a few buildings were constructed.
Meanwhile opposition to the irrigation project led to a series of court battles and in 1929 the Nebraska Supreme Court dissolved the irrigation district. John Harrop died in 1932, along with his dream for the town and the irrigation project. Today nothing remains of the remains of the Harrop townsite
Erected by Loup County Historical Society; Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 375.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker
Location. 42° 0.816′ N, 99° 27.31′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Nebraska, in Loup County. Marker is on U.S. 183, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. This marker is located just north of the junction with State Highway 96 north of the Calamus Reservoir. Marker is in this post office area: Taylor NE 68879, United States of America.
More about this marker. There is a small picnic area in conjunction with the historical marker.
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 438 times since then and 116 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.