Bokchito in Bryan County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Armstrong Academy, established by Choctaw Nation and named for Wm. Armstrong, Indian Agt., was opened in 1845. Rev. R.D. Potts, Supt., under Baptist Miss. Soc. Post Office established Nov., 1850. Confederate Capitol during Civil War. Choctaw Capitol, 1863-1883. Noted Chiefs there included Peter P. Pitchlynn, Allen Wright and Jackson McCurtain.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 180.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 34° 0.983′ N, 96° 7.833′ W. Marker is in Bokchito, Oklahoma, in Bryan County. Marker is on U.S. 70 0.1 miles east of Ballpark Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bokchito OK 74726, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hancock Building (approx. 10.6 miles away); Ben Siegel Building (approx. 10.6 miles away); Craighead's 5 & 10 Store (approx. 10.6 miles away); Cowboy Pink Williams (approx. 10.6 miles away); W.O.W. Building (approx. 10.6 miles away).
Categories. • Education • Native Americans • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 48 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on October 13, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?