Near Quapaw in Ottawa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Entering Indian Territory
In 1833, this area ceded Quapaw Tribe by U.S. Lands near granted Indians of 20 Tribes including Seneca, Shawnee, Peoria, Miami, Ottawa, Wyandot. Wealth came to the Quapaw and other Indians here, from discovery of lead and zinc mines beginning in 1905.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 164.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 36° 59.802′ N, 94° 44.452′ W. Marker is near Quapaw, Oklahoma, in Ottawa County. Marker is on State Highway 66 0.1 miles south of Kansas State Line, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Quapaw OK 74363, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Logan (approx. 1.3 miles away in Kansas); American Legion Post 206 Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away in Kansas); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away in Kansas); Indiana House (approx. 1.9 miles away in Kansas); Crowell Bank (approx. 1.9 miles away in Kansas); Café on the Route Illinois Cash Store (approx. 2 miles away in Kansas); Opperman Harness and Saddle Shop (approx. 2 miles away in Kansas).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 287 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 13, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. 2. submitted on January 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.