Proctor in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Vermont Marble Company
The Largest Marble Company in the World
The earliest marble was quarried by the Humphrey brothers in 1836. They were followed by successive marble companies. In 1870 Redfield Proctor took over in receivership and brought the Vermont Marble Company to world prominence. Building contracts and work done in the Proctor shops include the US Supreme Court, Jefferson Memorial and the rotunda columns in the National Gallery of Art. The Company employee program established the first Industrial Nurses in 1895. Between 1890-1915 workers came from 23 countries and lived in many boarding houses and later in houses rented from the Company. Nationalities had social groups and aid societies. There were two Lutheran Churches, one Roman Catholic, one Greek Catholic and the Union Protestant Church.
Erected 2007 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 43° 39.762′ N, 73° 2.152′ W. Marker is in Proctor, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 52 Main Street, Proctor VT 05765, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Proctor (VT) War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Otter Creek Pittsford's Iron Industry (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Vermont Sanatorium (approx. 3.6 miles away); Hammond Covered Bridge (approx. 4.1 miles away); Mead's Falls (approx. 4.2 miles away); Kendrick Dam, Pond, Mill, and Ice House (approx. 4.2 miles away); Center Rutland Depot (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Proctor.
More about this marker. Marker is located in front of the old marble factory which has been converted into the Vermont Marble Exhibit and Museum.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 321 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.