Sylvania in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Commissioners, on January 3, 1848 purchased 50 acres of land from Charles Church which was divided into streets and lots by Azzariah Eneis, Surveyor. The Commissioners contracted with Curtis Hunphries to build the new courthouse and with James P. Bazemore to build the new jail at a cost of $1575.00 and $400.00 respectively. The buildings were completed and delivered to the county April 3, 1848.
The first Post Office was established August 10, 1848 and Edward B. Gross was appointed first Postmaster. The Town of Sylvania was incorporated, February 20, 1854, and the first Town Commissioners were: Domonick J. Dillon, Winsley Hobby, Daniel Roberts, William Williams, and Charles Church.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-16.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker
Location. 32° 45.022′ N, 81° 38.202′ W. Marker is in Sylvania, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Ogeechee Street (Business U.S. 301) and Main Street (Georgia Route 21), in the median on Ogeechee Street. Touch for map. Near the West side of Square in Sylvania. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Screven County (here, next to this marker); Wesleyanna Memorial Church (approx. 4 miles away); The 14th Corps (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Goodall House (approx. 5.4 miles away); Washington's Route (approx. 5.4 miles away); John Abbot (approx. 5.4 miles away); Jacksonboro (approx. 5.4 miles away); Washington Slept Here (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
Also see . . . New Georgia Encyclopedia about Sylvania. Two bronze twelve-pound Napoleon guns, or cannons, of Civil War vintage now stand in the town square (Submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. Identification of the Two Cannon
Civil War cannon often, but not always, bear markings that aid in identification
— Submitted May 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,188 times since then and 148 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.