Near Ashland in Saunders County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
A short distance above the Platte River bridge, the river is joined by Salt Creek, a small stream whose saline qualities were first recorded by the French in 1718. A site at the mouth of Salt Creek was the home of several different Indian groups over a period of 700 years. Archeological excavations and radio carbon dating give evidence that it was settled by an agrarian people as early as 1000 A.D. Most recently, it was utilized by the Oto Indians, as French explorers recorded their presence here in 1718, though the village was abandoned before 1800. Other pre-historic houses and village sites within a few miles were settled as early as 1000 AD. The presence of the saline deposits made the area especially attractive to both Indian and white. White homesteaders began to take possession of the land as early as 1854.
Erected by Department of Roads and Nebraska State Historical
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 0.102′ N, 96° 19.109′ W. Marker is near Ashland, Nebraska, in Saunders County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 80 at milepost 425, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is south of the visitor center in the eastbound rest area. Marker is in this post office area: Ashland NE 68003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Ox-Bow Trail (approx. 3.3 miles away); In Honor Of John McBride Belnap (approx. 3½ miles away); Native Americans in the Lower Platte Valley (approx. 6.1 miles away); Melia (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Armour and Company Icehouse (approx. 9.1 miles away); Bess Streeter Aldrich, 1881-1954 (approx. 11 miles away); Weeping Water Academy (approx. 12.9 miles away).
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 16, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 415 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.