Near Clyde in Callahan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Anglican Church Service in the Callahan Area
Capt. John Trent, born 1839 in South Carolina, moved to Texas from Tennessee in 1875 with wife, children, and other relatives. The family built a log house here at Tecumseh Peak and raised sheep and cattle.
Going to market in Dallas, Capt. Trent met Bishop Garrett, who offered to visit him at his ranch. In a first effort the bishop lost his way, but the next year found the homestead. Neighbors thronged in, and on Feb. 23, 1878, an Anglican service was held for the first time in these wild mountains.
Later Bishop Garrett was presiding bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States. On the centennial of his birth (1932), churchmen, led by the Rev. Willis Gerhart of Abilene, joined with Masonic bodies of Dallas and this area in erecting the cross at this site to mark his visit of 1878.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2069.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clyde TX 79510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alexander Charles Garrett Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Physician J.D. Windham (approx. 3.4 miles away); Fletcher Ranch (approx. 5.8 miles away); Cedar Gap Community (approx. 9.1 miles away); Taylor County (approx. 9.4 miles away); First Exploratory Oil Well in Taylor County (approx. 9.7 miles away); Jim Ned Creek (approx. 11.6 miles away); Lindbergh in West Texas (approx. 12.8 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 259 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 17, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.