Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Harvest in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church

(organized 1808)

 
 
Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 1, 2010
1. Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The Western Conference, Oct. 1-7, 1808 in Williamson County, Tenn., sent James Gwinn to the "great bend" of the Tenn. River. Gwinn organized at the home of Richard and Betsy Ford, the first Methodist Society of the six in the Flint Circuit. This circuit, among others, was served for many years by circuit riders. First building was started in 1815. Building and 2½ acres of land deeded to church trustees in 1824 by the Fords. Present sanctuary, begun in 1870 on original foundation, has undergone several renovations and minor alterations.
 
Erected 1979 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 34° 50.463′ N, 86° 43.853′ W. Marker is near Harvest, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Ford's Chapel Drive and Autumn Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church, next to the church entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 280 Ford Chapel Drive, Harvest AL 35749, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nicholas Davis (approx. 5 miles away); White Hall (approx. 7.1 miles away); Oakwood College
Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, August 24, 2011
2. Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Due to damage sustained during the 27 April 2011 tornado, the marker has been moved to a new site next to the church entrance. The bare dirt spot in the foreground is where the "present sanctuary" seen in the following pictures used to be.
(approx. 7.3 miles away); a different marker also named Oakwood College (approx. 7.7 miles away); Slave Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away); Lee Mansion (approx. 8.3 miles away); Superconductivity Discovery (approx. 9.2 miles away); Limestone County Tornado Memorial (approx. 9.6 miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church. (Submitted on May 15, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, August 24, 2011
3. Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 1, 2010
4. Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church
This is the 'present sanctuary' discussed in the marker, but is no longer used as the church sanctuary.
Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 1, 2010
5. Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church
Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 1, 2010
6. Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church
Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 1, 2010
7. Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church
Overall view of the church from the Southwest. Current sanctuary building is on the right in this image.
Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, August 24, 2011
8. Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church
Note that the steeple seen in photo 7 was taken by the storm.
Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 1, 2010
9. Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church
The church sign is located at the intersection of Ford Chapel Road (on the left) and Ford Chapel Drive (behind the sign in this image).
Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, August 24, 2011
10. Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church
This gravel area is where the small grove of trees and the marker used to be located, in front of the old church building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 15, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,157 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on October 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. Photos:   1. submitted on May 15, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.   2, 3. submitted on August 25, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.   4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 15, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.   8. submitted on August 25, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.   9. submitted on May 15, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.   10. submitted on August 25, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement