Plymouth in Windsor County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Vermont Gold Rush
In 1826 gold nuggets were first discovered in Newfane and Somerset, Vt. In 1851, ‘49er Matthew Kennedy discovered gold in Buffalo Brook at Plymouth. By 1855, a “gold rush” was underway here and in Bridgewater, Vt. Prospectors staked their claims. The greatest activity occurred at Buffalo Brook and the Pollard farm. At Plymouth Five Corners, a gold mill and crusher were built. In the 1880s, seven companies were operating here. The Rooks Mining Company earned $13,000 in a six-month period in 1884. After Rooks went bankrupt in the late 1880s, mine manager and hermit Henry Fox searched for gold until his death in 1919. Recreational prospectors still pan for gold in Buffalo Brook and elsewhere.
Erected 2008 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 43° 28.62′ N, 72° 41.707′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Vermont, in Windsor County. Marker is on Scout Camp Road 0.6 miles north of Kingdom Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located just past the entrance of Camp Plymouth State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth VT 05056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Revolutionary War Campground on the Crown Point Road Calvin Coolidge Homestead (approx. 4.2 miles away); Calvin Coolidge (approx. 4.3 miles away); Plymouth WW1 Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away); Capt. John Coolidge Flagpole (approx. 4.3 miles away); Achsa W. Sprague (1827-1862) (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mount Holly Railroad History (approx. 4.9 miles away); Abby Maria Hemenway (approx. 5.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Categories. • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.