Near New London in Kandiyohi County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
In 1879 this village of Jericho was established in the historic Norway Lake settlement, 20 years after the first Norwegian immigrants arrived. A general store with a post office, a blacksmith shop, a creamery, and other businesses prospered in support of this thriving community.
Erected in 2006
Kandiyohi County Historical Society
Erected 2006 by the Kandiyohi County Historical Society.
Location. 45° 17.079′ N, 95° 8.112′ W. Marker is near New London, Minnesota, in Kandiyohi County. Marker is on 68th Street Northwest (County Road 101) 0.8 miles south of 180th Avenue Northwest (County Highway 40), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is approximately 10 driving miles from New London. Marker is south of East Norway Lake Lutheran Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16720 68th Street Northwest, New London MN 56273, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as U.S. Military Post (approx. 0.9 miles away); Isle of Refuge (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Old Log Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Old Log Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lake Florida Mission Covenant Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Johannes Iverson (approx. 3.2 miles away); Lundborg Cabin (approx. 5.4 miles away); Guri Endresen-Rosseland (approx. 7.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker has the Historic Site seal of the Kandiyohi County Historical Society · 1895.
Also see . . . Jericho. (Submitted on October 22, 2014.)
Additional keywords. Jericho, Minnesota; Norway Lake, Minnesota; Arctander Township
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 22, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.