Gaines in Orleans County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Birth of a Local Style
—Architecture of the Coast —
Cobblestone construction was perfected by local masons between the opening of the Erie Canal and the Civil War. Local farmers had access to the stone, oxen to haul it, and labor to build with it. Borrowing from popular architectural styles, the ingenious masons built structures that soon became status symbols.
The Core of Cobblestone Country
Cobblestone masonry originated around Rochester and spread with the pioneers moving along the Great Lakes Plain. The area around Childs is one of the most dense clusters of cobblestone buildings in existence.
Whipple House. Cyrus Witheral, Stone Mason. Flat lake stones set in herringbone pattern. Medina sandstone quoins and sills. V's joints.
Cobblestone Museum and Gift Shop. Field stone veneer with V'd joints. Brick lintels. Limestone quoins.
Cobblestone Schoolhouse. Sandstone quoins and lintels. 6" thick lake stone veneer over plank.
The Cobblestone Society Museum Buildings 1-7 (Distance not to scale in this artists rendering)
[map of section of NY 104 Ridge Road with buildings depicted with addresses and index numbers]
Actual distance from Childs to the Whipple House is 3.5 miles. Actual distance from Childs to 15071 Ridge Road is 2.25
Historic District Buildings
1 First Universalist Church, built in 1834 of field stone.
2 Ward House, built in 1840.
3 Schoolhouse, built in 1849, used until 1952.
4 Blacksmith Shop, built 1922 by Jos. H. Vagg.
5 Print Shop, built 1870s, relocated here from Medina.
6 Harness Shop, built 1838 by Starr Chester, relocated here from Gaines.
7 Farmers Hall, built in 1855, relocated here from Kendall.
8 Brick House, built in 1836.
Other Area Cobblestones
9 Whipple house, built in 1845 by Cyrus Witheral.
10 Saunders house, built in 1844.
11 Anderson house, built in 1830s, wing added 1859.
12 Hayden house, built about 1840.
13 More than one masonry pattern used.
14 Gaines District #4 Schoolhouse.
15 John Proctor's residence, brick, built in 1830s.
16 Cobblestone lower floor, brick upper floor.
17 Built in the 1870s by John Proctor.
18 Built in 1840s by John Proctor.
19 Brick front, old cobblestone at rear.
20 Built in 1836, sandstone arch over front door.
Many of these structures are private. Please respect property rights.
Seaway Trail, Inc. Corner Ray & West Main Street. Sackets Harbor, NY 13685. 1-800-SEAWAY-T.
This exhibit made possible by a grant from FHWA to Seaway Trail, Inc. Thanks to the Cobblestone Society Museum, C.W. Lattin,
Erected by Seaway Trail, Inc.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway, and the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 43° 17.222′ N, 78° 11.475′ W. Marker is in Gaines, New York, in Orleans County. Marker is at the intersection of Ridge Road West (New York State Route 104) and Oak Orchard Road (New York State Route 98), on the right when traveling west on Ridge Road West. Touch for map. Marker is to the right of a brick house (office) which is next to the gas station on the northeast corner of the intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14389 Ridge Road, Albion NY 14411, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. At Left: Cobblestone House / At Right: Cobblestone House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gaines District No.5 1849 School House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lake Plain (approx. half a mile away); Pioneer Settler (approx. 0.7 miles away); Burial Ground (approx. 1.1 miles away); Niagara to Genesee Historic Ridge Road (approx. 1.2 miles away); Crossroads (approx. 1.2 miles away); Home of Katherine Belle Rowley (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaines.
More about this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Cobblestone Historic District - Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. The Cobblestone Society Museum. (Submitted on October 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 327 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on October 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.