Manchester in Bennington County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
The Revolutionary War
Ethan Allen crossed Lake Champlain to capture Fort Ticonderoga on May 10, 1775 for "America's First Victory." Allen's expedition passed through here on May 5, 1775. Nathan Beman from Manchester guided the expedition into the fort; John Roberts of Manchester was the head of the expedition's largest immediate family. In 1777, after evacuating Ft. Ti and Mount Independence, Gen. Arthur St. Clair traveled to the Saratoga area via Manchester. The first meetings of the Council of Safety (Vermont's initial government) were at the original Marsh Tavern (on site of south wing of The Equinox). In Manchester, Gen. John Stark declined orders from Gen. Benjamin Lincoln and opted to go to Bennington. Starks's NH troops and Seth Warner's "Green Mountain Boys" camped in Manchester prior to the Battle of Bennington victory on August 16, 1777.
Erected 2011 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 43° 9.745′ N, 73° 4.308′ W. Marker is in Manchester, Vermont, in Bennington County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Alternate Vermont Route 7) and Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the lawn between the Bennington County Court House
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Southern Vermont Arts Center (approx. one mile away); Lincolnís "Hildene" (approx. 1.4 miles away); Sunderland (approx. 4.2 miles away); First Marble Quarry (approx. 5.1 miles away); Birthplace of William Griffith Wilson (approx. 6.2 miles away); Dorset (approx. 6.5 miles away); The Dorset Field Club (approx. 6.6 miles away); Fenton Pottery Site (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manchester.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.