Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
Irish Immigrant Memorial
A reproduction of the plaque on the original cross is shown below.
This monument was erected in memory of more than 2000 Irish immigrants who died of typhus fever contracted on shipboard during the voyage from Ireland during the famine year 1847, and of whom 600 were buried in this island.
This cross also commemorates the devotion and sacrifice of Dr. Patrick Collins, who, after ministering to the victims of the disease, himself contracted it and died.
Designed and erected by George McArthur -- 1927.
Location. 45° 16.012′ N, 66° 3.62′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is on Water Street 0 kilometers north of Prince William Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Memorial is in a grassy park in between Water Street and Prince William Street. Marker is in this post office area: Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 2C2, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Troop Fleet in the Days of Sail (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Church of Saint Andrew and Saint David New Brunswick’s First School of Law (approx. half a kilometer away); First Marine Compound Engine (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); First Steam Fog Horn (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Prince William Street - Before and After the 1877 Fire (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Scottish Strength (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Centerbeam Place (approx. 0.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2014, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 373 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2014, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.