Halifax in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
La Citadelle d’Halifax
Built to defend against a land-based attack, the Halifax Citadel was the fourth in a series of forts to occupy this hill, The star-shaped fortress, completed in 1856, was the centerpiece of the extensive system of fortifications constructed by the British military from 1749 to protect this strategic port, which by the mid-19th century had become one of four principal naval stations in the British Empire. Garrisoned by the British until the Canadian military assumed control of all Halifax defences in 1906, the Citadel stands today as a reminder of our rich colonial and military past.
Construite pour défendre Halifax contre une attaque terrestre, la citadelle est le quatrième fort à occuper cette colline. Cet ouvrage en forme d’étoile, achevé en 1856, constitue la pièce maîtresse du vaste système de fortifications conçu par les Britanniques à partier de 1749 pour protéger ce port stratégique devenu au milieu du XIXᵉ siècle l’une des quatre principales bases navales de l’Empire. Tenue par une garnison britannique jusqu’à ce que les forces canadiennes prennent en charge toutes les défenses de la ville en 1906, la citadelle témoigne d’un riche passé colonial et militaire.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux
Location. 44° 38.849′ N, 63° 34.736′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker is on Sackville Street just from Brunswick Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5425 Sackville Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The View from the Citadel / Le panorama vu de la citadelle (within shouting distance of this marker); South African War Monument (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Province House (approx. half a kilometer away); Philippe Aubert de Gaspé (fils) (approx. half a kilometer away); Halifax Waterfront Buildings (approx. half a kilometer away); Edmund Burke (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Pierre Maillard (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); St. Mary’s Basilica (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the ring road around the Citadel, near the entrance to the fort.
Also see . . . Citadel Hill (Fort George). The current star-shaped fortress, or citadel, is formally known as Fort George and was completed in 1856, during the Victorian Era, (Submitted on October 9, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on October 24, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 3. submitted on October 9, 2014. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 9, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 8. submitted on October 9, 2014. 9. submitted on October 9, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.